Has your plate started to look as “blah” as your daily routine? Kick your interest up a notch with—surprise!—an indulgent treat that packs potent nutrition, too: Boom! Yum!! Health Brownies!!!
- coconut oil
- 4 pasture-raised eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 6 oz. organic dark (70% or more) chocolate
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 2 ripe organic avocados, mashed smooth*
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup raw organic chopped walnuts (optional)
- You’ll need an electric mixer or a whisk and some elbow grease. You’ll also need a large mixing bowl and a brownie pan liberally greased with coconut oil.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler. Separately, mix eggs and sugar until light and bubbly.
- Slowly and completely mix melted chocolate into egg mixture until smooth. Add cacao powder, almond meal, salt, and vanilla. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down from the sides of the bowl as needed. Add avocados, being sure batter is now completely smooth and free of lumps. Finally, mix in walnuts by hand with spatula.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the middle of the pan comes out clean. Cool, cut into squares, and enjoy!
- *If you like a sweeter brownie, substitute one ripe banana in lieu of one avocado.
Margaret shows how to make sustainable nutritional changes, provides whole foods cooking lessons, and revamps kitchen pantries so there are always good food choices in the home. Learn more at www.decadesofhealth.com, or catch her on PBS’s EatFree TV, a whole foods cooking show teaching simple recipes for cooking healthful meals every day.